Head of Civil Engineering
- Sheffield Head Office
- Job Ref:
The Head of Civil Engineering leads all Linbrooke Services Limited rail civil delivery activity across the project portfolio and contributes to the engineering culture for the entire organisation. The role is accountable for the day-to-day operations of the civil engineering business and for contributing to the strategic plans for the future of the signalling & civils business.
Duties and Responsibilites
The Head of Civil Engineering is:
- Accountable for the day to day management of the rail civil engineering operations with all Powers, discretions and delegations authorised, from time to time, by the Director Signalling & Civils
- Overall accountable for health, safety and environmental management and the promotion and adherence to all relevant health, safety and environmental regulations and policies insofar as they apply to rail civil engineering operations.
- Responsible for setting a positive Health Safety and Environmental culture for rail civil engineering operations.
- Accountable for developing strategy and direction for rail civil engineering operations within the signalling & civils business.
- Required to contribute to the development of the rail signalling & civils business plan content
- Accountable for the leadership of the rail civil engineering business resources to meet project and business objectives including the management of the financial resources of rail civil engineering operations.
- Required to analyse and review activity reports and financial statements to determine progress in attaining rail civil engineering operations objective(s) proposing strategy and plans to meet and exceed the same as appropriate
- Accountable for developing continuous improvement and value engineering proposals for rail board assessment for adoption
- Responsible for the evaluation of rail civil engineering leadership team personal performance leading as necessary on resultant HR activities.
- Responsible for selecting, appointing, supporting and reviewing the performance of the rail civil engineering operations resources.
- Accountable for the development of rail civil engineering operations in accord with stated objectives periodically set and the overall rail business objectives.
- Responsible for client liaison with organisations and clients with which the company conducts work.
- Accountable for ensuring appropriate governance of the design and delivery of project works executed by rail civil engineering operations, as appropriate.
- Responsible for ensuring that all civil engineering activities are supported by contractual or other appropriate business instruction
- Accountable for providing leadership and motivation for all rail civil engineering employees
Key Communications and Working Relationships
The Head of Civil Engineering is:
- Directly responsible for ensuring the adequacy of engineering management and compliance in civil engineering operations
- Responsible for providing technical support to the delivery engineers and CRE-Construction
- Responsible for interjecting in delivery as required and supporting both construction and design teams with any issues that may be encountered HSEQ
- The Head of Civil Engineering shall:
- Take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and of other persons who may be affected by their acts or omissions
- Cooperate with the company in implementing all Health and Safety Policies and Procedures
- Use all machinery, equipment, substances, transport equipment, means of production or safety device provided to them in accordance with any training or instruction given by the company, the applicable legislation and any manufacturer’s instruction.
- Immediately report any dangers to Health and Safety that are identified including failings in the company’s arrangements.
The Head of Civil Engineering should direct the business in such a way that Health and Safety is always given paramount importance and remains at the forefront of all planning and execution. This culture and ethos should be substantiated by day to day decision making and behaviours which stress the importance of and vigilantly adhere to the Health and Safety at Work Act, Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations and Network Rail’s Lifesaving Rules.
Ensure all work is conducted in line with Safe by Design (SbD) principles. Review, consider and use relevant information from each SbD working group as can be applied to project designs and provide the working groups with feedback on Linbrooke’s developments and lessons learnt.
As a company, Linbrooke are dedicated to meeting the needs of our clients and the industry. With our proactive, ‘can do’ ethos, we strive to ensure that our workforce remains consistently competent, unified and flexible in catering to the requirements of our customers and the curves of commerce.
To preserve our unrivalled team-spirit and quality driven delivery process, Linbrooke stands for courage, team-work, humility, determination, passion, selflessness, professionalism and humour.
Committed to enduring as a formidable delivery machine and maintaining our status as our clients’ supplier of choice, we are firm advocates of voicing our opinions constructively and without malice so we can move forwards with both strength and solidarity. Forsaking the ‘blame culture’, we own up to our errors when we make them and step up to the mark in order to rectify and learn from our mistakes.
Built on a firm foundation of military discipline and champion-like motivation, what we do on a daily basis is hard-core, ultimately culminating in fortitude, so in their hour of need, our clients will come to us!
Safety Critical and Key Roles
This role is identified as both a Safety Critical and a Key Role
Key and desired qualifications / experience / competence measures
Key qualifications / experience / competence:
Desirable qualifications / experience / competence:
Incorporated Engineer – Civils discipline
2 years plus experience as CRE Construction – Railway civil engineering
5 years plus Leadership & Management experience of a field operative work force
Chartered Civil Engineer
2 years plus experience as Contractor’s Engineering Manager – Railway Civil Engineering
Behavioural based safety competence